Board of Directors
Credit Unions are not -for-profit cooperatives owned by their members, with a Board of Directors who oversee the operations — not a highly paid group of outside stockholders. This unique philosophy is what sets your credit union apart from other financial institutions and, without a volunteer Board of Directors, we would not be able to provide low-cost services.
If you’d like to be more involved with your credit union and have a strong desire to help Northern Hills Federal Credit Union contine to succeed and grow, we encourage you to apply for one of the available positions.
• Make strategic decisions regarding the course of action for the Credit Union by
establishing objectives, formulatting policy and approving goals and programs.
• Set rates on savings and loan products. Establish pricing policy on member services
• Hire, fire and evaluate the Credit Unions’ president
• Approve any pay practices and benefits for Credit Union staff as recommended by
• Participate in standing committees as appointed by the Board chair.
• Ensure that the Credit Union meets all federal and state regulations and guidelines.
• Monitor activities of and appointments to the Supervisory Committee.
• Maintain, review and update the Credit Union bylaws.
• Maintain the confidentiality of all Credit Union business.
• Attend and actively particpate in monthly Board meetings and the annual planning
At the next Annual Meeting of members, our members will vote on those they wish to represent them on the Board of Directors.
The Committee is appointed by the Northern Hills Federal Credit Union Board of Directors and is comprised of volunteers who are member-owners of the Credit Union. Its primary function is to serve as the audit committee on the Credit Union, ensuring that it is soundly managed and that member assets are safeguarded. To fulfill its function, the Committee will monitor and evaluate the quality of credit union finances, operations, and decisions.
• Safeguard Northern Hills Federal Credit Union member assets by initiating ongoing
internal and yearly external audits.
• Periodically verify teller cash and member account balances.
• Review Northern Hills’ policies, procedures, and operations.
• Review the minutes of meetings held by the Northern Hills Board of Directors and
• Evaluate Northern Hills internal controls and financial position.
• Keep abreast of consumer laws and rgulations and determine Northern Hills’
compliance with them.
• Collaborate with regulatory examiners during their reviews/exams.
Experience in bookkeeping, accounting, auditing, finance, systems analysis, or documentation review is helpful in this position, as you are responsible for carrying out audit and verficiation functions.
Positions may not always be available, but your interest and information will be kept in a file for possible openings.
Volunteer Qualifications & Application
Volunteer qualifcations for Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee positions include:
- Must be a member in good standing.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be bondable by the Credit Unions’ fidelity bond company.
- Must authorize a criminal background check and a credit check.
- Must complete a volunteer application (additional requirements listed in application).
Additional qualifications and responsibilities are included in each job description:
• Board of Directors Job Description
• Supervisory Committee Job Description
To apply, please complete the application and mail to:
Northern Hills FCU
PO Box 759
Sturgis, SD 57785